Sunday 8 March 2015

Topsham area 8th March

As I was visiting my grandparents in Devon today, I decided to head down a little early to visit two of the RSPB reserves in Topsham.

My first stop was Darts Farm RSPB, where I hoped to find the magnificent Penduline Tits that have been spending the winter there. Arriving at the bird hide, I was pleasantly surprised to see the rather uninspiring-looking miniature reed bed teeming with birds, most Reed Buntings, Wrens and Blue and Great Tits, along with the occasional Goldfinch, Meadow Pipit and Chiffchaff (about seven or so). Sadly, however, no Pendulines. I waited for over an hour, before deciding that it would be worth visiting the nearby Bowling Green Marsh RSPB, after which I would check Darts Farm again.

There was a great number of birds present on the marsh, with large flocks of Wigeon, Shelduck, Mallard, Teal and Canada Geese, along with several Pintails, Pochards and Tufted Ducks. A large wader flock contained both Black-tailed and Bar-tailed (my first of the year) Godwits, Curlews, Redshanks and a single Avocet. Moving on to the viewing platform, I was pleased to find a Spotted Redshank in amongst the more common waders.

Spotted Redshank, Exe Estuary
Nearby, it was awesome to find three Water Rails creeping about the edge of a flooded field, along with a Snipe.

I then headed back to Darts Farm. Again, the Pendulines were not on show, though seeing a Water Rail just in front of the hide was a brilliant surprise.

Water Rail, Darts Farm RSPB
A pair of Egyptian Geese that flew over were my first this year.

I decided at this point to head to my grandparents' house. On the way, I checked the beach at Sidmouth. I was pleased to find a large number of Oystercatchers and Turnstones here, but best of all were four Purple Sandpipers.



Turnstone and Purple Sandpipers, Sidmouth
I decided that I needed to check Darts Farm one more time before heading home. Fantastically, the two Penduline Tits had reappeared and they were showing brilliantly in the early evening sun.

These awesome birds look kind of like miniature Red-backed Shrikes I think.


Penduline Tit, Darts Farm. The species is still a rare vagrant to Britain, despite expanding its breeding range into Western Europe in recent decades.
The Pendulines were no further than three metres away from me, and like Bearded Tits, they seemed completely unaware of my presence. Without a doubt, watching these birds was one of my favourite birding experiences in the UK, it was just brilliant. I could have stayed all evening, but suddenly the birds flew off and hid themselves deep within a willow tree and so I headed back to Dorset. What a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment