Friday 6 March 2015

The Fleet area, 6th March

On the 1st March, I visited Wyke Down in the east of Dorset in search of some of the special birds of prey that spend the winter there. Sadly, seven Buzzards and three Kestrels were the only raptors that showed- no Red Kites, Hen Harriers, Merlins or Short-eared Owls... Two Corn Buntings, a dozen or so Reed Buntings and truly enormous flocks of Black-headed Gulls and Redwings made for great spectacles.

Four days later, I was lucky enough to stumble upon my first Tawny Owl this year that was flushed by a Blackbird from its roost in the garden. This was my first daytime sighting of this awesome species.

On the 6th, I decided to explore the area around Abbotsbury. Starting at the Swannery, I was disappointed that I was unable to find any Scaup or Long-tailed Ducks, but I had (extremely) distant views of the Greenland White-fronted Goose that has spent the winter in the area, my third sighting of this bird. The only ducks I could find were Shelducks, Wigeon, Teal and Mallards.

I then moved on, visiting Rodden Hive. Here, I hoped to find the flock of Barnacle Geese and some of the waders that have been seen there regularly this winter. Being high tide, there was very little exposed habitat available for waders, though a flock of Redshank and one Oystercatcher were present. On top of that, four Little Egrets and several Ducks and Coots were present, but presumably the Geese have moved northeast to their breeding grounds.

I then went to Ferrybridge, hoping for some waders or perhaps an early Wheatear or hirundine. Sadly, once more, I drew blank, with just a single Curlew, several distant Oystercatchers and a single Little Egret present. The dog walkers strolling across the beach can't have helped things. 

Hearing news of what-would-be a new bird for me present at Abbotsbury Swannery, I headed straight back. Looking onto the Meadow Pool distantly from the road, I quickly found the Greenland White-fronted Goose again, and a little later, a fantastic Green-winged Teal in amongst a large group of Common Teal, Wigeon and Shovellers. This species is a regular vagrant to Britain from its usual range of North America and it was awesome to see a bird that has travelled so far. 

I finished the day at West Bexington, where I had been hoping to find one of the Cirl Buntings that has spent the winter there. Sadly, I didn't see any, but a magnificent Barn Owl hunting over the fields made the trip very worthwhile.
Barn Owl, West Bexington


No comments:

Post a Comment