Monday 5 May 2014

Portland strikes again!

There are some times as a birder that one has to give up everything to go and see a bird. Or several birds as the case may be. 

I was settling down to a solid day of revising for my AS levels, when one of those fantastic moments occurred. It really is one of the greatest things about this wonderful hobby.

The birds in question were Pomarine Skuas, one of the species I have wanted to see all my life. Though regular off Portland each May, I have never been able to see them- either we have been on holiday, or my lack of a telescope has rendered my search for them inevitably futile.

It seemed that today would have to be the day I finally saw this magnificent Arctic-breeder, which spends its winters in the world's southern oceans and graces Britain's waters in Spring and Autumn on its journey.

A large number had been reported passing Southern British coastal sites in the morning, so we hurried down to Chesil Cove. After half an hour, a flock of eight passed very distantly, but views were hardly satisfactory. Then, sometime three magnificent Pomarines bearing their resplendent 'spoon' tails (a feature only present in breeding plumage individuals) headed towards us. Soon seven more appeared and they were then joined by another twenty individuals. To make things even better, they then proceeded to land on the water directly in front of us, offering truly breath-taking views through my telescope. My attempt at photographing them was somewhat thwarted by being unable to find them through my minuscule camera lens. My tactic was to take photographs of random areas of sea approximately where they were. This was the result:

Pomarine Skuas, Chesil Cove, 5/5/14

Several Swallows, Fulmars, Gannets and 'Commic' Terns also passed, along with my first Arctic Skua at Portland.

Very much rushed for time, we decided to make a short (very short- approximately 100 metres) detour to Portland Castle, whose garden a male Wood Warbler had been frequenting for the morning.


Wood Warbler, Portland Castle, 5/5/14
I found it almost immediately, showing extremely well and calling regularly. This stunningly-bright Phylloscopus was a new for me in Britain (I have previously seen one in Italy), my second new warbler species at the Castle in the last week! It was certainly a nice bonus....

Sadly, we ran out of time to look for a Black-winged Stilt that was found earlier in the morning, but having seen so many of this beautiful species before, I could cope. Just.

As we headed home, we had a wonderful surprise as an Osprey swooped very low over us just two miles from Hilfield! We enjoyed superb views of it as it headed north-east. This really highlighted how birding can bring fantastic excitement and joy no matter where you are in the world. What a fantastic hobby it is.



No comments:

Post a Comment