Saturday 31 May 2014

Garden birding....

...can be awesome.

After a quite remarkably unproductive morning of revision for my AS levels, a 'quick' break outside revealed this fantastic bird migrating over the garden:

Honey-buzzard, Hilfield, 31/5/14

An Honey-buzzard! Amazingly it is my second sighting of this rare species from the garden, following on from one last July. What a fantastic bird! It is presumably on its way to breeding grounds further north in the country- I was very lucky indeed to find it!

Tawny Owls have been calling madly from the woods, there are certainly a number of pairs nesting there. I will upload a sound recording as and when I can work out how to!

I also saw a Hobby chasing Swallows low over the garden this afternoon, but on the 26th rather aggravatingly was unable to identify a Stork species that flew over- I am all but certain that it was a Black Stork, but I had no binoculars- a dark silhouette of a Stork was as far as my identification could go.

Meanwhile, Britain's third Short-toed Eagle was found today at Morden Bog. I may have to get down there tomorrow.... Sadly I have rather a large amount of revision to do before then!

No comments:

Post a Comment