Tuesday 14 July 2015

The last few days...

Since returning from Italy, I have been continuing to (slowly) progress towards my target of 600 species of bird between leaving school and starting university. 

On the 4th July, I visited the Somerset Levels. I started at Shapwick Heath, where almost immediately a Great White Egret flew overhead. The bushes alongside the footpath were swarming with passerines, mostly Long-tailed, Great and Blue Tits, Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps, along with a single Garden Warbler. We reached Meare Heath, which was disappointingly lacking in any waders and ducks, though a further four Great White Egrets and two Little Egrets were seen nearby. As we headed towards the nearby Ham Wall reserve, two Bearded Reedlings appeared in the reeds next to the path, a fantastic bonus bird to have seen and my first sighting of the species on the Levels. Several Reed and Sedge Warblers were also present.

Arriving at Ham Wall RSPB, a Hobby appeared overhead immediately. It was one of at least ten seen on the reserve. Not long later, a magnificent Bittern took flight from a reedbed. This is undoubtedly one of my favourite British birds, and one that is fantastically common on the Somerset Levels (I saw eight of this secretive heron at Ham Wall). Having heard news of a sighting of a Little Bittern earlier in the morning, and with at least one Night Heron and a Purple Heron seen from the same place, I decided to wait and see what appeared. A Little Bittern was heard to call, but sadly it, along with the other two rare herons, didn't show. A large flock of Gadwall took me one closer to my target of 600, while several Pochards and Shovelers. A Kingfisher that flew past was one more addition, though sadly Lapwings were the only waders showing on the reserve. Amazingly, a further five Great White Egrets were seen around the reserve, bringing my morning's total up to nine! A Cuckoo was heard to call, but sadly not seen.
Marsh Harrier, Ham Wall RSPB. This species is one a number of rare birds nationally that has become amazingly common in this fantastic area. At least twelve were seen during the day.

Great White Egret, Ham Wall RSPB.

Gadwall, Ham Wall RSPB.

Bittern, Ham Wall RSPB.


We then headed to Greylake RSPB. Seven Eurasian Teals were showing in front of the hide, while two more Marsh Harriers flew past. Sedge and Reed Warblers were abundant, but the highlight was definitely a single Yellow Wagtail that was sat on a distant fence post. This was my first sighting of the species in breeding plumage ever, and its bright yellow colour was fantastic to see. As we walked back to the car, a Peregrine Falcon flew overhead, taking my total up to 104 species, and ending a fantastic morning.

On July 10th, I had a day out birdwatching in Devon. I had also added Willow Warbler and Sand Martin to the total since my Somerset trip. Starting at Yarner Wood, in pursuit of some of the specialities of Dartmoor's woodlands. At first, the woods seemed extremely quiet, though a Siskin was nice to see, while Willow Warblers, Blackcaps, Marsh, Great, Blue and Long-tailed Tits and Goldcrests were present in good numbers. After some time walking around the woodland, passing the many (now empty) Pied Flycatcher nest-boxes, I had distant (but very good) views of a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, by far my best sighting of the species and only my second ever. A short time later, I was delighted to come across two Pied Flycatchers showing very well just in front of me. The species can be difficult to find in July, when it traditionally disperses following breeding. This was the first time I had seen this bird in Britain, ending my quest to find one of the last regularly-occurring species in the southwest missing from my British list.


Pied Flycatchers, Yarner Wood. It was hugely pleasing to come across these fantastic little birds during a great walk through the woods.

As I headed back to the car, I had two further additions to my challenge total, with Grey Wagtail and Nuthatch seen, along with several more Siskins.
Grey Wagtail, Yarner Wood

Nuthatch, Yarner Wood

A brief check of a nearby location known for its Dartford Warblers sadly produced no more than several Linnets, Meadow and Tree Pipits and Stonechats.

I then continued on to Bowling Green Marsh RSPB. In front of the hide were numerous Mallards, Little Egrets, Black-tailed Godwits and Oystercatchers, along with five Greenshanks (my first of 2015). I walked to the viewing platform, from which I saw hundreds of Curlews and dozens of Whimbrels, along with a Grey Plover, two Knots and a fantastic summer-plumage Spotted Redshank. Surprisngly, no Common Redshanks, nor Dunlin were seen (though one was seen the next day from an Exe Estuary river cruise). Checking in front of the hide as I headed back to my car, I was pleasantly surprised to find a single female Wigeon in front of the hide, a rather unusual species to find in July and a pleasing bonus addition to my challenge total.

On the 13th July, I visited Acres Down in the New Forest. Sadly the weather was not in our favour, and consequently a single Common Buzzard was the only raptor seen, and my attempts at finding Honey-buzzards and Goshawks were very much in vain. It was nice to see a number of Woodlarks around the area, along with a large number of Tree Pipits and a walk around the nearby forest produced several Firecrests and Siskins, along with Blackcaps, Willow and Garden Warblers, Chiffhcaffs, Goldcrests and Long-tailed Tits. Before I headed home, I searched the heathland near the car park for Dartford Warblers, though the strong wind was not at all conducive. Several Stonechats and Meadow Pipits were seen, but very little else. A small tree on the edge of the heathland contained at least two female Redstarts, which were seen very well, my 123rd bird of the challenge and one of my favourite British summer migrants.

A rather miserable-looking Tree Pipit at Acres Down


This was my final birding trip before heading to America on Thursday. I can't wait!



No comments:

Post a Comment